The performance-driven Heuer 02 movement, a completely in-house development, is a clear demonstration of TAG Heuer’s commitment to avant-garde watchmaking.
La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland – November 2019: TAG Heuer has begun equipping its avant-garde watches with its Heuer 02 chronograph movement. Initially launched in 2017, this calibre is an evolution of its predecessor, the Heuer 01, which debuted in 2009. When designing and developing the Heuer 02, the aim was to create a thinner movement with an increased power reserve that exhibited the same timekeeping precision as the Heuer 01. The result is a sophisticated in-house innovation that is entirely Swiss-made in TAG Heuer’s Chevenez manufacture. It comprises 168 components, including a column wheel and a vertical clutch – signatures of improved chronograph timekeeping and high-quality manufacture movements.
TAG Heuer’s Calibre Heuer 02 manufacture movement offers five key benefits:
- A power reserve of 80 hours, an increase of 30 hours compared to the Calibre Heuer 01.
- A thinner movement, which allows for a thinner case design and improved comfort for the wearer. The thickness is 6.95 mm, compared to the Heuer 01’s 7.30 mm.
- The vertical clutch improves the precision of the start-and-stop functions as well as the running of the chronograph second hand, meaning that there is no loss of time when using the chronograph function.
- There is a column wheel, which provides more accurate and precise functionality, noticeable through the smooth impulse when manipulating the pushers.
- Precision and greater stability with a frequency of 4 Hz (28,800 vibrations per hour).
In addition to the function of the mechanical movement being enhanced, there were also updates to the design. The Heuer 02 movement features a tri-compax design, most notably found on the original TAG Heuer Carrera from the 1960s. The distance between the counters is greater than that of the Heuer 01, allowing for a more prominent display and larger subdials, which improve legibility. Though it is not a modular chronograph movement, it has been designed in a way that allows extensions to be added to the movement’s functionality.
True to its defining spirit of avant-garde horlogerie, TAG Heuer continues to push the watchmaking industry to new heights by introducing innovations such as the Heuer 02 movement – and, at the same time, offers watch aficionados outstanding quality and design they can enjoy for years to come.
Facts and figures
Technical features 168 components
Frequency 28,800 vibrations per hour/4 Hz
Dimensions Diameter 31.0 mm, total height 6.95 mm
Power reserve 80 hours
Display features Hour, minute, date, central chronograph second hand, 12-hour chronograph counter at 9 o’clock, 30-minute chronograph counter at 3 o’clock, permanent second counter at 6 o’clock
Mechanical features Column wheel, vertical clutch, circular oscillating weight, single barrel, 33 jewels